Having a swimming pool at home can be a blessing, but it is also essential to have a good pool cover installed when you are not using it. With good pool equipment and maintenance, your swimming pool can be ready again for the next summer. This is the perfect guide if you are prepared to cover your swimming pool this season. Here, you will get all the information you need to install inground and above-ground pool covers. Let us begin by checking out some pro tips you must keep in mind before starting the pool cover installation process.
Top Tips To Keep In Mind For Pool Cover Installation
Installing a pool cover is an essential part of pool maintenance. Taking the time to get it right will help ensure that your pool is safe and secure. Keep these tips in mind when installing an inground or above-ground pool cover, and you’ll have a great pool season.
1. The positioning should be done properly.
One of the critical things to keep in mind is the correct position when installing a pool cover. You must check that the cover fits perfectly without leaving any wrinkles, and it must have straight straps. If you don’t position it well, you will need to adjust the straps later to remove the wrinkles, giving them a crooked look. A quick trick is to lay out the whole pool cover and position it well before you start the drilling. You can use cinder blocks or sandbags to position the cover properly.
2. Make sure to protect your pool cover.
In winter, covers can get wind whipped if they are not adequately protected. To protect them from abrasion, it is crucial to use clip-on padding such as rubber pieces on the areas of concern.
3. Make it tight but not too much.
It is crucial to ensure that the fastening springs of the cover are adequately compressed and intact. Ensure the pool cover installation is smooth and neither loose nor tight.
Pool Cover Installation Steps
Before you begin the installation process, you will need to make sure you have the following materials on hand:
- Pool cover
- Cover clips
- Cable and winch
- Installation tools
- Deck anchors
- Water bags
- Stakes or weights
Inground pool cover installation:
- Start by removing all the handrails and swimming pool ladders.
- Now, measure the pool cover and the pool itself to determine the cover’s overlap. Take the length and width difference and divide it by two. Remember that the overlap can have a variation of 10-15 inches.
- Now, place the pool cover carefully with the cautionary label facing up to ensure no damage or snag. Adjust the overlap using something to hold the cover’s straps in place, such as bags of sand or buckets of water.
- Now, mark the anchor points on each wall’s center and install the anchors.
- After that, attach the springs to the straps and place them on the anchors.
- Finally, continue the anchoring of the rest of the cover. When all the springs and anchors have been installed, recheck them to ensure that everything is secure with equal tension.
Above-ground pool cover installation:
- Lay out the winter cover on the ground and make sure it is the correct size for the pool.
- Place the cover over the pool and make sure it is centered.
- Secure the cover to the pool deck with cover clips.
- Fill water bags with water and secure them to the pool deck.
- Cover the edge of the cover with sandbags to keep it in place during windy conditions.
- Secure the bottom of the cover to the pool’s bottom track with the cover clips.
Don’t Leave Your Pool Open in Winters
If you have a swimming pool in your home, it is essential to keep a heap of residential pool supplies handy should you need them. Also, it is paramount to install a pool cover for winter to protect the swimming pool from blowing or falling debris and pool-related accidents. A pool cover also protects the shell in winter, making it less prone to cracking.
Halogen Supply offers a variety of high-quality pool covers to help keep your inground and above-ground swimming pools clean and protected all year long. Get in touch with our expert staff or call us at 800.777.SWIM to help you make the right choice.